Monday 1 November 2010

Summary of Research

What have I learnt from my research? 


       From researching the genre of thriller, I have gained an understanding of the codes and conventions of thrillers and what makes a film specific to the thriller genre. I have researched the codes and conventions, camera and editing techniques as well as sound and mise-en-scene which is typical in thriller films. Furthermore, this has allowed me to understand what I need to do to create a good opening title sequence and what factors I need to include to make sure it meets the criteria to become a thriller film. I will apply these factors to the production of my opening sequence through the planning, filming and editing so I can make the film the best it can be. 
       In addition to learning what I need to do to make the opening good, I have also learnt what I need to avoid through the production. The steadiness of the camera, continuity of the editing, use of good pace and suitable mise-en-scene will help me to gain the higher grades and help my group to continue to avoid these negative techniques.
       Overall, the research I have completed has helped me understand the different aspects of film and the thriller genre. The research I have completed has allowed me to gain the knowledge to know what positive and negative techniques and methods I should use or avoid. 
       Now, in my group, we will need to brainstorm our ideas and discuss techniques we could use for the opening of the thriller. We will also need to decide whether our opening sequence will be a hybrid or sub-genre film as well as a thriller.